Crestwood DC

Crestwood is a woodsy enclave of 665 detached single family residences evolved from a single 300 acre estate. This toney urbanburb is an architectural smörgåsbord, surrounded on three sides by trees and Bambi.

Ogle architecture. Hike the trails of Rock Creek Park. Wade in a stream. Catch a concert at the Amphitheater. Cheer on your tennis crush at the Citi Open.

Take Flicka through her paces at the equestrian center.

Data says Crestwood residents show unusually high net worth and advanced learning degrees. Feeling super smart and flush? Move right in.

Citi Open DC


For a full, updated list of schools, visit EBIS. Click the cap to go to school website. School data by SchoolDigger

Public • Grades PK-5

Public • Grades 6-8

Public • Grades 9-12






Neighborhood History

Enduring Value

Indigenous peoples knew the value of Crestwood long before white settlers discovered its bounties. Creeks filled with herring, shad and other fish, woods teaming with turkeys, deer, bears, buffalo, bison, and small game for hide tanning and fur, along with late summer and autumn walnut harvests drew the Susquehannock and Piscataway Indians to the area. The Crestwood neighborhood also offered fertile planting soil and quartzite from boulders on its south end for fashioning spear tips and tools.

300 Acres

In the early 1700's, white settlers moved into the Crestwood area, building homes along Rock Creek. John Bradford was the first titleholder to a 500 acre land parcel granted by Lord Baltimore in 1719. Randall Blake then took title to 300 acres, the parcel that makes up today's Crestwood neighborhood. A small section was allocated to Rock Creek Park and another small section was lost to construction of 16th Street. Blake named his parcel “Argile Cowall and Lorn” for several locations on west coast of Scotland.

Lyons Mill

Lyons Mill was constructed on Argile land in 1780, attracting workers and their families. Abner Peirce built Peirce Mill in 1829. In 1845 the Argyle estate was sold to Russian Count and Ambassador Alexander de Bodisco for $7,500. Bodicso built a country estate there with a conservatory, bowling alley, barns and other outbuildings. Count Bodicso sold the Argile property to lumber merchant Thomas Blagden just before his death in 1853 for $25,000. Blagden further developed the estate, expanding the milling business include a flourmill, a fertilizer mill, a miller’s cottage and two outbuildings. He farmed approximately 100 acres for potatoes.

“Blagden Deer Park”

The population of Crestwood and the surrounding area grew substantially during and after the Civil War. This caused the loss of a good portion of the area's wildlife. Thomas Blagden Jr. created “Blagden Deer Park” in 1874, an approx. 25 acre fenced preserve where deer were bred and sold to wealthy estate owners for their own game parks, breeding, and hunting. Increased development brought new roads and the electric streetcar to the area, along with Mt. Pleasant Village in 1865. Congress established Rock Creek Park in 1883, including donated portions of the Blagden and Peirce family properties. In 1899, the Blagden family donated additional land for the construction of Blagden Avenue, providing access to the park.

“Crestwood At Rock Creek Park”

Crestwood’s streets were named at the turn of the century. They include; Allison, Buchanan Crittenden, Decatur, Shepherd, Taylor, Upshur, Varnum, Webster, Argyle and Taylor, among others. Expansion of 16th street boosted development through the early 1900’s. In 1934 the Argile manor house built by Count Bodice was razed to accommodate development of new homes along the 1700 block of Varnum and 4300 lock of 18th Street. In early 1938 developers began construction on a new 300 unit residential community named “Crestwood at Rock Creek Park.” Its developer controlled every detail and approved all buyers and tenants. The “Westinghouse-Paul P. Stone Home of Tomorrow” at 4220 Argyle Terrace was presented to the public on October 2, 1938. It was a technological marvel at the time due to its air conditioning and automatic dishwasher. In 1941, to combat a local builder’s plan to build a 6-story apartment building at the SW corner of 16th and Shepherd, The Crestwood Citizens Association was formed. Two of the resulting legal challenges reached the Supreme Court and the fight continued for 5 years before the association lost and the Crestwood Apartments were built. The association joined residents again in the early 1950s for nearly a decade to oppose the plan to build a 4 lane expressway along Rock Creek. The association remains strong and active today.

That Bomb Story

In 1980, a bomb detonated in a window flower box at 1907 Quincy Street in Crestwood. It was the home of Yugoslavia’s charge d’affaires. A group called the “Croatian Freedom Fighters” claimed responsibility. The residence was abandoned in the 1990's by the Yugoslavia government and after a very lengthy delay of transfer to the Bosnia-Herzegovina government, was sold by Bosnia & Herzegovina in spring 2015 for $650,000. The property transferred again in 2016 for the sum of $860,000. in completely gutted condition.

Simplify your neighborhood selection

Partner with us!

Our decade + of buyer representation takes us in and out of most DC neighborhoods on a regular basis. We understand neighborhood trends, price points and inventory. Take advantage of our experience and let us acquaint you with the DC real estate market.

Contact Us
The Isaacs Team - The WHole Package
Share this!

Neighborhood information on this site is believed to be accurate but not guaranteed. Subject to change without notice.